I don't remember exactly when I developed this habit, but I observe people and try to figure out what makes them be themselves. You know, not in a cool, experimental way, but more like a 'Hello, fellow human being, who are you really?' way. But not in a creepy stalker way either. I think. Anyway, my point is, I've been doing this for quite some time now, and I've consistently been able to find some flaws/quirks in every person; as is, according to most people, completely normal. Nobody's perfect; you live and you work it, and all of that. But the way this makes me see all of it is that ,these people, they're giving away hints about themselves so easily; why? How dum are they? Do they not realise that, in just a matter of minutes, anybody can read them like a book? Why would they make themselves vulnerable like that? The way I see it, voluntarily offering bits of yourself to the outside world, by way of your dress or actions or expressions - aren't you afraid to let go of the only thing that's yours for sure, and always will be? When you wear large hooped earrings, and heels, what are people going to think of you? When you cover yourself up from head to toe, and keep your eyes down, what will still more people think of you? Will that make a difference, if you stopped showing those outward signs of yourself to the world? Will people ignore you, or will they develop a keener interest in you? When you wear blue big blue dangling earrings and walk down to the canteen at lunch, what are people thinking of you? Do they notice the spring in your step, the shine that is added to your smile?
I don't wear earrings any more. My grandmother even today told me that I should wear a chain around my neck. I wear blue rubber chappal everywhere I go. I rarely go out - bordering on the anti-social, if I were to be compared with most my age. I forget the point I was trying to make. I do that a lot, these days. I suppose I've let go of my coherence along with everything else. "Let go of my coherence". Is that right? I don't know.
I just saw my title again. I remembered my point. Basically, being one who reads people - we shall not get into parameters of accuracy or conjecture - and is awed by the way everybody projects themselves easily to anybody who's watching, I have tried very intently - because I was the stark opposite of this - to become invisible myself, because I don't want anybody to read me. Or judge me. If they want to, and choose to, know me, they must, quite simply, ask me. Ask, and thou shalt receive.
If you're wondering yes, that girl from the canteen was me.
Is me.
And that's the girl I want to be again. And that's the girl who is the namesake for this blog.
I don't wear earrings any more. My grandmother even today told me that I should wear a chain around my neck. I wear blue rubber chappal everywhere I go. I rarely go out - bordering on the anti-social, if I were to be compared with most my age. I forget the point I was trying to make. I do that a lot, these days. I suppose I've let go of my coherence along with everything else. "Let go of my coherence". Is that right? I don't know.
I just saw my title again. I remembered my point. Basically, being one who reads people - we shall not get into parameters of accuracy or conjecture - and is awed by the way everybody projects themselves easily to anybody who's watching, I have tried very intently - because I was the stark opposite of this - to become invisible myself, because I don't want anybody to read me. Or judge me. If they want to, and choose to, know me, they must, quite simply, ask me. Ask, and thou shalt receive.
If you're wondering yes, that girl from the canteen was me.
Is me.
And that's the girl I want to be again. And that's the girl who is the namesake for this blog.
:) I'm not much of a people-watcher myself, and I think that makes me appreciate this post more.
ReplyDeletei think i'm always careful with the way i dress, talk and behave in front of people, because you know, the first impression is often the last impression. (i didn't steal that line from Tashan, i did NOT!)
ReplyDeletei've always wanted people to ask me, too. i have a lot to tell, but that kind of stuff needs prompting. i'm still scared though, what if i say something that makes a bad impression? answering questions isn't probably the most foolproof solution there is, in terms of people getting to truly know me for what i am.
blahhhhhh that makes no sense. but yeah.
You're the type of person I would really like to know.
ReplyDeleteYou spelt dumb wrong.
ReplyDeleteAlso, why judge people because they wear blue earrings or rabbit ears or snakes?
Bluey - You uncannily like the posts that reveal the worst of me. :P
ReplyDeleteFurree - Dude, I only saw bits of it, but I LOVED Tashan. And I LOVE Chaliya, it's such an amazing song :|
"answering questions isn't probably the most foolproof solution there is, in terms of people getting to truly know me for what i am." That made more sense than this post itself. I feel you, word for word.
Zy - Why thank you, I guess.
Philophobic - I use the word dum wherever the word dumb is required. Deal.
Your question - like most others you ask - has a really long-winded answer which I will refuse to give you currently for I am not yet convinced of your capability to accept it. I find that my banalities are better suited to your questions for again, I'm letting less of myself out. And this was a really long justification.
You try hard.
ReplyDeleteI don't have much else.
ReplyDeleteI do see what you mean.
ReplyDeleteIt's a natural reaction for people to read others these days, though. Asking is passe, who knows what sentiments you'll hurt and who knows who DOES want to be spoken to?
That's true, JD. I guess I think it's ok to ask because at least it means for sure that you have like, a genuine interest in getting to know the person.
ReplyDelete